2 Garments

Finally I have gotten started on my SWAP items! Between Christmas, a nasty virus that hit the family, and regular life events I had no time or energy to even sort through the patterns or cut fabric.

I started with the floral knit fabric for a few reasons.

  1. I was looking to add a print to my current wardrobe.
  2. Jersey is very easy for me to sew.
  3. I had enough yardage to get at least 2, possibly 3 garments.
  4. I would be able to use the serger and not have to re-thread it.
  5. I could batch sew, maximizing my time.

First I cut my favorite T: the plantain.  I used Sara Veblen’s knit neckband tutorial, and I ended cutting the band a little short, which pulled the neckline up a little higher than I wanted. It actually makes it a bit more work appropriate, so I’ll take it.

Next I traced off a pattern from DD’s swing tank that I have been coveting (insert evil grin.) For this I ended up doing a fold over binding for the neck and arm holes, using these two links as resources:

https://blog.colettehq.com/tutorials/how-to-bind-knit-edges-the-ultimate-guide https://www.victorypatterns.com/blog/2013/03/finishing-edges-with-bias-binding/.

Ironing the binding was very putzy, but I am always glad when I take that extra time and don’t try for short cuts! Turns out though, the armhole binding was a little sloppy, and pulled the armhole a bit tight. So, I did what anyone might do: chopped it and just turned and stitched.

Both are still waiting for pictures and hemming.

Advertisements

Diverted

SWAP sewing has come to a screeching halt!

I completed the 2 Jalie t-shirts, both are crew necks due to: 1. not enough fabric and 2. Mock t-band was waaaay too short for the neck opening, and then I did not have enough fabric! No matter, they are done, simple, and I love them.

img_0367

New simple shirts!

I was supposed to cut out the blue and gray shirts next. I want to try out the Deer & Doe Plantain tee for these, just for a newer silhouette. I got as far as downloading and taping the pattern, and I just couldn’t go on because once again I don’t have enough fabric. To be fair, I purchased the fabric with 2 more Jalie’s in mind, but I just was irritated. So I quit. Instead I started sewing up a quilt top kit that I bought 10 years ago and has been languishing in my stash, taunting me.

I joked a little that it is harder than clothes and in a way it is. Those 1/4 inch seam allowances are unforgiving! If you are a little bit off even half the time, well, I imagine things won’t be exact! There is more room for error in a garment.

Still, I am enjoying the quick little zip! of sewing up a seam. Very satisfying.

Forward

Boxy top is done, and in the trash!  Learning experience for sure: wrong pattern, wrong fabric. I may try the pattern again in a stiffer woven or knit, but not now.

Switching my focus to the basics of SWAP, Planning 4 iterations of Jalie 2805:

  • Split side seam mock turtleneck in a blue marled rib knit
  • Second mock turtleneck in a white rib knit
  • 2 crew neck t shirts in gray and blue, possibly with a shirt-tail hem

That should only take a few days, between pre-wash, cut, sew.  The split seam and shirt-tail hem will take longer as I don’t have a pattern and will have to draft them. That brings SWAP to:

Bottoms

  1. Pre-sewn Jalie Eleonore jeans
  2. Purchased boot leg jeans

Tops

  1. Blue Mock turtleneck
  2. White mock turtleneck
  3. Blue crew neck
  4. White crew neck

That is actually not bad. 6 of 11 items. I really need a wider variety of overs, 2 would bring me to 8 items. One more shirt is 9 items, and the black or brown Elles or Eleanores gets me to 10 or 11. That doesn’t even count the tunics I want to make!  Plenty of options, and whatever I don’t finish can be added later for a nice capsule wardrobe based on blue, brown, and black.

 

SWAP 2016-2 down

2 tops completed! I ended up using the same pattern for these: Simplicity 1366.  LOVE this top. Boxy but not too. Easy sew, only took me a few days to complete each one (that is fast for me.)

I sewed a straight size 8 for each, and I did muslin first. I’m trying really hard to do things the right way, so am making muslins for all new patterns. Takes time, but it truly saved time when I used my fashion fabric.

An 8 corresponds to my actual measurements, amazingly enough. I had to wiggle a bit to get the sleeves to fit just right. I also shortened the hem to 3/4″, I think the pattern allows for 1.5 inches. That would have been a wee bit too short for my liking.

It is described as a crop top, on anyone taller than me that may be true, but at barely 5’3″ it falls just below the waist band of my jeans. Here it is made up in a rayon batik:

IMG_4880

The second I made up in a floral burnout fabric. It is a little less drapey than this rayon.

I seriously like this pattern so much I may do yet another one with long sleeves, maybe in a sweater knit.

Up next though will probably be the Jalie Eleanore jean pattern. I have some light blue bengaline sitting in the stash that will serve as a muslin, hopefully wearable.  I’ll take a short break first, to finish cutting out the 6″ squares for DD’s quilt. It’s been marinating long enough.