One hour t-shirt

I made a t-shirt in one hour!!

OK, it is not quite done, as DD is not home for me to check the hem length, and I think the neck band will be too tight.

Still.

I used a knit from SR Harris, and after cutting it realized it is not as stretchy as some of the other knits I’ve used.  Hence the tight neck band.  The pattern is Jalie 2805 and oh boy is it easy.  It has multiple neckline options: cowl, crew, V neck, Henley.  DD likes the crew neck. It is not too low, and the body has just the right amount of curve for her tastes. I’ve made 4 so far including this one.

Last year I was amazed at all the people posting about their quickly sewn t-shirts. Now that I have a pattern I like and am familiar with (and has only 5 pattern pieces) I get it!  I feel like I’ve joined a secret club.

Adventures in Ottobre

I’ve dived in to the making of the blouse for DD.  I am using an Ottobre pattern, so that means I am in uncharted (for me) territory on a number of levels.

  1. I have never sewn a blouse with a placket in my life.
  2. Cuffs, buttonholes, and collars are completely new to me.
  3. Ottobre instructions are on the minimal side, and there is no cutting layout.
  4. Ottobre patterns do not have seam allowances-gasp!
  5. DD is a size 10 in circumference, and about a 12 in length, so I have to lengthen the pattern.

I think that is it, and that is enough. I thought I should blog the experience as a record for myself, easy enough on the weekend, and harder during the week.

Up today is lengthening the pattern, adding the seam allowance on the fabric itself (per Ottobre instructions), and cutting the pieces. That means I get to use my new sewing tool, a French Curve.

So first I measured from the armscye how far down to make my cut to lengthen the pattern.  Usually I am all just line it up and see what happens, but this time I measured!

IMG_3998

See that is my new French curve.  I measured the front and back bodice pieces, added about 2 inches and ended up with this.

IMG_4002

Sorry for the unedited  sun spots, and for my photo bombing feet.  I went ahead and traced out all the pattern pieces and added the seam allowances.  This was a very tedious process, but I realized that it is far easier to pattern match without the seam allowance. I added 5/8″ to give me lots of margin for error.

Next I’ll serge the edges, and start construction. Wish me luck!

Down to the wire

April 11, and I have just over 2 weeks to finish the SWAP.  DD has changed her mind on every turn, and we no longer have a rainbow swap, rather a mostly aqua and orange SWAP, with some random patterns thrown in.  That is all fine with me as I know she will wear nearly every item I have made so far.

The rundown on complete items is:

3 t shirts: one teal, one aqua, one teal striped.

2 pair leggings: one orange, one rainbow striped.

2 pair fleece pants: one brown and yellow polka dot, one green and pink/yellow floral.

1 fleece cowl neck sweater: light aqua.

1 magenta heather cocoon sweater.

Next item planned is a woven cotton blouse, which I am totally stalling on, and one as yet unnamed item.  We are missing a refashion, and I am stumped as to what to add in.  I may take her shopping in my closet for a garment to re-do.

For the blouse I need to:

Trace the pattern, add seam allowances, cut out the pattern.

Pin and cut the fabric.

Sew together.

Figure out how to do button holes.

Sew on buttons.

Hope it fits her!

Planning to get the pattern traced and cut, and fabric cut by the end of the weekend.  Tall order, as I am stalling like a champ.